Research Grants Program
Have you got a research project that will improve outcomes for native wildlife and their habitats?
WIRES committed to a Research Grants Program, over three years, commencing in 2022. The WIRES Research Grants Program (WIRES RGP) is proudly supported by the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales (RZS NSW) and has been designed to address the significant knowledge gaps surrounding Australian wildlife and their habitats.
The challenges currently faced by our wildlife and the wild places they call home are immense. At WIRES, we believe that collaboration is the key to delivering tangible project outcomes to effectively tackle these challenges. Collectively, we can deliver the best long-term outcomes nationally for all native species.
WIRES RGP Objectives
The WIRES Research Grants Program (WIRES RGP) has been developed to provide support for wildlife researchers across Australia. WIRES focus is on proposals that have tangible, positive and ideally long-term outcomes for wildlife. Funding granted through this program is up to three (3) years. The grant will be administered through WIRES.
The overall objectives of the WIRES Research Grants Program are to:
- 1. Identify and address current research gaps that will result in evidence-based approaches to objectively reduce future risk to and improve the health and habitats of Australian native species.
- 2. Advance scientific research into key issues impacting Australian wildlife and their habitats, through strategic investment.
- 3. Raise awareness and implementation of proven wildlife rehabilitation and conservation methods.
- 4. Promote best practice emergency preparedness and response in the context of wildlife conservation.
These objectives will be achieved by supporting robust scientific research, leading to evidence-based practices. Our aim is to reduce the likelihood of wildlife requiring rescue and rehabilitation, provide scientific-based evidence for the improvement of rescue and rehabilitation methods, improve post-release outcomes for rehabilitated wildlife and aid the recovery of wild populations and their habitats, all of which will improve long-term ecological outcomes in Australia.
This is a competitive grants program. Demand is likely to outweigh available funds and therefore eligible applications will be evaluated by an assessment panel. This assessment will be based on proposed project, value for money, collaborative opportunities, funding priorities, demonstrated need and the funds available.
A total funding pool of up to $500,000 per year, is available until 2024. Eligible applicants are invited to submit proposals that adhere to one or more of the following categories:
Category 1: Risk-Reduction
Research that will help reduce the likelihood of wildlife requiring rescue and rehabilitation.
Category 2: Rescue and Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation research that will improve rescue and rehabilitation methods.
Category 3: Release
Research that improves post-release outcomes for rehabilitated wildlife.
Category 4: Recovery
Research that aids the recovery of wild populations and their habitats.
For eligibility criteria and other important information, check out the WIRES Research Grants Guidelines.
Year 1 applications closed in March 2022. View 2022 Research Grants Recipients.
Applications open: 30th January 2023
Applications close: 10th March 2023 (at 11:59pm)
Successful applicants notified: 8th May 2023
Grant announcements and unsuccessful applicants notified: 16th June 2023
How to Apply
Applications for 2023 Research Grants Program are now open until 10th March 2023.
Please note that due to limited funding and a competitive assessment process, not every application that meets the eligibility criteria may receive a WIRES Grant.
- Click on APPLY NOW link below to access the WIRES Grant Portal
- Create account and log in. Please note that you will need to tick “YES” to receiving notifications if you wish to be sent confirmation of application submission.
- Read information on the home page
- Click on “Start application”
- Select your State/Territory
- Select “WIRES Research Grants Program 2023” and then the appropriate tier.
- If you wish to leave a partially completed application, make sure you press ‘Save + close’ and log out.
- You can log back in and continue to edit your application form until you are ready to submit.
- To submit your application, select the ‘Submit application’ button.
- Note, no changes can be made once this is selected.
- You will receive a confirmation email when your application has been successfully received. If you do not receive an email, please ensure you check your junk mail and add us to your safe sender list.
Applications for 2023 Research Grants Program are now closed.
Answers to frequently asked questions can be found at the end of the WIRES Research Grants Guidelines. PDF.
If you still have questions or require any further information after reading our FAQs, you can email the WIRES Projects & Grants Team [email protected]
The WIRES Research Grants Program (WIRES RGP) is proudly supported by the