As a Rescue 101 volunteer, you have already completed the Rescue 101 course. To become a WIRES member and rescue a broader range of species plus access species-specific training and provide immediate care to native wildlife, you must complete the Immediate Care Course (ICC), which is an abridged version of the Rescue and Immediate Care Course (RICC).
Course: Immediate Care Course (ICC)
The Immediate Care Course will allow you to rescue a greater variety of species and provide immediate care for up to 24 hours. The course consists of an online theory component and a workshop component. The online theory takes roughly 4-6 hours to complete. Once you have completed the online theory, you can complete the workshop component of your training. This can be done in two ways:
- 1-day face-to-face workshop:
- You will be able to register to attend the face-to-face workshop once you complete your online theory training;
- Please note you are welcome to participate in any workshop that suits you, as you have 12 months to complete the course.
- An online practical workshop:
- Complete your training while remaining contactless;
- You will gain access to this once the online theory component is complete.
To enrol into the ICC, please email [email protected] to request a booking form.
Once the booking form has been completed and returned to the Training Team, the course can be paid via bank transfer or credit card payment over the phone.
Please note the ICC authorises participants to perform rescues only and does not include bats, monitors or snakes. If you are interested in caring for/housing rescue animals or if you wish to perform bat, snake or monitor rescues, you will need to complete the specialist species courses, which cover the rescue, rehabilitation and release of a particular species and are only available after the ICC has been completed. For information about further training after completing the ICC, please email [email protected].
If you want to receive updates and information about upcoming WIRES training workshops, sign up for the training newsletter here.