Free Online Educational Community Course
WIRES Community Course ‘An Introduction to Australian Wildlife’ has been designed for people of all ages as an easy introduction to Australian wildlife and for individuals and families who are unfamiliar with Australian native animals.
Who can enrol?
Anyone can enrol and complete this online course. The course is available in English, Arabic and Chinese (simplified).
- Create a training profile on the WIRES Learning Management System (Moodle).
- Complete the course by working your way through the online workbook and quizzes.
- Download your certificate to keep for your records.
The course was designed in conjunction with the NSW Government through its Environmental Trust to help those new to Australia and who have little experience with Australian wildlife to:
- Identify some of our most common species
- Learn more about well-known Australian animals
- Appreciate how important native animals are to our environment
- Ensure their safety and the safety of native animals
- Learn how to best assist if they find sick, injured or orphaned wildlife
This course is delivered entirely online and takes approximately 1-2 hours to complete.
This course is free.
This course will equip you with the skills to identify basic Australian animals and learn how to best assist if you find injured, sick or orphaned wildlife. Please note that this course does not allow you to rescue and/or care for animals.
To train to become a wildlife rescue volunteer with WIRES, you must complete one of our introductory rescue courses.
Create a Moodle training login here to access the course:
This project has been assisted by the New South Wales Government through its Environmental Trust