Are you a wildlife rescuer or carer affected by a natural disaster or significant emergency and in need of urgent support?
For WIRES members affected by emergency events and natural disasters, please complete the Disaster Relief – Support Request Form for WIRES Members or email [email protected].
How We Can Help
At WIRES, we are committed to providing immediate emergency aid for wildlife carers and rescuers in times of major natural disasters. Our focus is on regional, state, or national events that impact large numbers of native animals.
Our Disaster Relief Program (DRP) offers essential assistance to those on the frontline of wildlife rescue and rehabilitation during emergencies. Here's how we can help:
Wildlife Food: Ensure that native animals have access to the sustenance they need.
Wildlife First Aid: Provide immediate medical care for injured wildlife.
Rescue Equipment: Equip rescuers with the tools to save animals safely and efficiently.
Care Equipment: Support carers with essential supplies for the animals in their care.
PPE: Ensure the safety of rescue and care workers with personal protective equipment.
The DRP has two primary objectives:
- Assist authorised wildlife carers, vets, and rescue organisations with immediate emergency requirements for rescue and rehabilitation.
- Support strategic emergency response initiatives to improve long-term outcomes for impacted wildlife.
Who is Eligible for DRP Emergency Aid?
If you are a licensed wildlife rescue and carer in Australia, you or your organisation may be eligible for DRP emergency aid if:
• Operate wildlife facilities in a declared disaster zone.
• Actively rescue and care for a significant influx of wildlife affected by an emergency event.
• Have wildlife facilities damaged in a declared emergency event.
• Be caring for wildlife affected or likely affected by an emergency event.
How to Apply
If you meet the above eligibility criteria, fill out our online form to request assistance. Our DRP team will assess your application and coordinate the supplies you need.
Demand may outweigh available support, so eligible applications will be assessed based on funding priorities, demonstrated need, and available resources. We may also approve other support requests if you can demonstrate the need for the activity and expected tangible outcomes.
An Example of Our Disaster Relief Program in Action:
Questions or Need More Information?
If you have any questions or require further information, please feel free to email the WIRES Disaster Relief Program team at [email protected]. We're here to assist you and support our precious native wildlife during times of crisis.