The WIRES National Training Grants Program provides the opportunity for licensed wildlife rescue and care groups around Australia to access WIRES wildlife rescue and rehabilitation training.
Under the Training Grants Program, WIRES has already provided over $85,000 worth of training support to volunteers and industry professionals from 30 organisations around Australia.
To enable organisations to train as many volunteers as possible, WIRES is offering eligible wildlife rescue and rehabilitation organisations a Training Grant to cover the course cost of all volunteers wanting to complete specific courses in 2023.
Nominated volunteers from eligible rescue organisations awarded a Training Grant will be able to complete WIRES Introduction to Wildlife Rescue Course for free in 2023.
Rescue and rehabilitation organisations in the program will also have access to a growing range of online species courses. Online species courses are normally available for $30 per person, but groups who have previously signed up to the WIRES Training Grant program will have free access to newly released species courses for the first month of the release of the course.
Online Courses Currently Available under the Training Grant Program
Introduction to Wildlife Rescue
This course is designed to help rescue organisations recruit and train more new volunteers faster, to begin rescuing the animals most commonly reported needing assistance, including birds, possums, lizards and turtles.
Normally $30 pp however this fee is waived for 2023 for new eligible groups who have signed up to the WIRES Training Grants Program.
- Organisations eligible for the WIRES Training Grants Program must have been actively engaged in wildlife rescue or care for a minimum of 2 years
- Groups must be registered as Australian organisations with a current ABN
- Groups must be licenced for wildlife rescue or care in accordance with their state requirements
- Groups must prioritise animal welfare and aim to consistently provide best practice rescue and care for wildlife
- Groups must be willing to sign an agreement confirming their commitment to the program, encouraging their volunteers to complete the course quickly and complete an acquittal form at the end of the grant agreement period
Apply for a Training Grant
If you are a rescue organisation that would like to enquire about a Training Grant above, please complete the WIRES Training Grant Registration Form and the WIRES Training Team will be in touch as soon as possible.
National Training Library
To learn more about other wildlife rescue courses available visit WIRES National Training Library.