The Rescue 101 Program is designed to engage more people in wildlife volunteering by providing the knowledge and skills needed to start helping with native animal rescue and transport quickly.
Relatively simple rescues requiring quick animal transport for veterinary assistance are WIRES’ most common calls for help. As a Rescue 101 volunteer, you can rescue various injured and sick wildlife and transport them to a vet for assessment and treatment, alleviating the suffering of animals and giving them the best chance of survival.
This course is suitable for those who would like to assist wildlife on a very flexible basis, as it gives volunteers maximum flexibility regarding how often they get involved and how many rescues they help with.
Who can join?
- Participants must be 18 years and over to register for WIRES training.
- Participants must live in an area in NSW where WIRES is licenced to rescue and care for wildlife.
- Rescue 101 participants must have their own transport to attend rescues.
What species can I help with?
After completing this course, Rescue 101 volunteers can assist with simple rescues and transporting birds, possums, lizards, turtles and frogs.
For participants who want to get involved in caring for animals or would like to assist with snake, monitor, or bat rescues longer-term, please register to complete the WIRES Rescue and Immediate Care Course (RICC) instead.
- After enrolling below, participants will be given access to the online Rescue 101 course within 2-3 working days.
- Students have three months to complete the training.
- Post course completion, your volunteering authority is valid for one year and must be renewed annually.
- For further information, including the course and refund policy, please read the Rescue 101 Course Information Pack.
There are five modules in this course containing essential information, including:
- Work, Health & Safety
- Wildlife rescue and transport fundamentals
- Bird rescue and transport
- Reptile and amphibian rescue and transport
- Mammal rescue and transport
This course is delivered online and takes approximately 4 hours.
Northern Beaches Council proudly supported the development of the Rescue 101 Program.